This is a required step to enroll in the Apple Developer program. This process is going to depend if you already are listed in Dun & Bradstreet (D&B).
What is a D-U-N-S Number?
D-U-N-S Number is used as a unique identifier for the business entity that is registering for the program. Apple requires that developers provide a D-U-N-S Number as part of the enrollment process for the Apple Developer Program in order to verify the identity and legal entity status of the business. This is used to ensure that only legitimate businesses are able to access and use the resources and tools provided by the program, such as the ability to distribute apps on the App Store. If you don’t have a D-U-N-S Number, you can apply for one through Dun & Bradstreet, which is the company that assigns and maintains the numbers.
Please note to get a D-U-N-S Number, a business must meet the following requirements:
- Legal existence: The business must be a legally-formed entity, such as a corporation, partnership, or sole proprietorship.
- Physical location: The business must have a physical location where it conducts business operations. A P.O. box or virtual office address is not sufficient.
- Unique identity: The business must have a unique identity that distinguishes it from other businesses. This means that the business name, address, and phone number must be unique to that specific location.
- Verifiable: The business must be able to provide verifiable information to Dun & Bradstreet, such as business registration documents or tax identification numbers.
- Operating business: The business must be actively operating and generating revenue. Dun & Bradstreet will not assign a D-U-N-S Number to a business that is not actively trading.
It's worth noting that If a business already has a D-U-N-S Number and the information needs to be updated or corrected, they can use the D-U-N-S Number to request an update.
How to Request a D-U-N-S Number?
To request a D-U-N-S Number, you can use the D-U-N-S Lookup tool on the Apple Developer website at this link: https://developer.apple.com/enroll/duns-lookup/#!/search.
- Go to the link above and click on the "Look up D-U-N-S Number" button
- Input your business name and location information
- Check the information provided for accuracy and click "Continue"
If the system finds a match, you will be able to see your D-U-N-S Number if this is the case just check the note to make sure you can proceed to the next step if not just continue reading this document to ask for a D-U-N-S Number.
If you are already listed in the D-U-N-S Number you can move to the following article to continue the process of app submission.
If not you need to finish the submission by following the instructions to complete the request process and submit it
It's important to note that the process of obtaining a D-U-N-S Number can take up to 15 days, and sometimes you may need to provide additional information or documentation to verify your business identity.
Once you receive your D-U-N-S Number, please allow up to 2 business days for Apple to receive your information from D&B. After this period, you may move on to enroll as a ‘Company/Organization’ in the Apple Developer Program.